The Word was Jesus – John 1:1
- First – make sure you take note of the JST’s in this chapter. The first 34 verses are all JST.
- In verse 1, with JST.
- Verse 1 footnote – we can see that even though the JST changes the verbiage that the Word is still Jessust Christ.
- So, He is the Word.
- This would have been relatable to these people. They were familiar with scripture and with the Law. The word would also have been the law to them. So relating Christ to the Word is really relatable.
- When I think of Him being the Word I think scriptures, prophetic revelation or even GC talks. Personal revelation.
He is the Life – John 1:4
- In Him was life – I love that.
- I don’t often think about Him as LIFE – but He is.
- He was the creator of our world.
- He created everything.
- As you experience your favorite creations, think of Christ as the life of that and His ability to create that for you!
Light – John 1:9
- Light is essential.
- Light brings peace and comfort.
- Light brightens sustainability. We all NEED it to survive.
- If Christ is the light then we need Him. He brings peace and comfort in those dark moments. He allows navigation and warmth.
- We need the Word, Life and Light in our physical lives. They’re all so important to us. They’re just as or even more essential to our Spiritual well being.
- The Word: Allows revelation, words and guidance from prophets and apostles. The scriptures are a place we can find Christ and learn of Him.
- The Life: Allows repentance! His life allows us to repent – to TURN TOWARD HIM and become better humans. Because of repentance and the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can live with Him for all eternity.
- The Light: His Light is peace. It is having faith in something bigger than ourselves. It is faith in His ability to navigate our lives for the better. It’s the warmth of His love in those times where we can’t see anything ahead that makes sense.
- In verse 14 we are reminded that we receive Grace by Grace … little by little. When we allow Jesus Christ in our life – his word, life and light, every day we will receive and know Him better. Line upon line.
- In 29-34 John talks about how Jesus was baptized. There are several JST’s in these verses, so make sure to look in the appendix for those.
- I do love in ver 32 (33 in appendix) It says, “And I knew him; for he who sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me …. Adn I saw and bare record that this is the Son of God.”
- John took this role we learned about in Luke seriously. He knew that his purpose was to testify and prepare. We see this first hand in these words.
Jesus Comes – Apostles Choose Him
- Alright so we have John who in verse 36 says ….
- The Lamb of God. Verse 37
- Jesus sees these two apostles follow and asks:
- What seek ye?
- Where dwellest thou?
- COME AND SEE.
- They follow and stay with him that day.
- ANDREW: One of the two we just talk about.
- He goes and gets his brother Simon Peter’
- We have found the Messias – or Christ.
- “He brought him (Simon Peter) to Jesus
- Jesus gives him another name which means A Stone.
- Jesus continues His travels and verse 43 says He finds Phillip.
- Jesus says: FOLLOW ME.
- He does.
- Phillip: verse 45 finds Nathanael
- We have found Him whom Moses in the law did write. Jesus of Nazareth.
- COME AND SEE.
- Jesus to Nathanael
- Israelite with no guile. – a peacekeeper.
- Nathanael asks: Whence knowest thou me?
- Before Phillip called you here, when you were under the fig tree
- I SAW THEE.
- There are a lot of trees – and it’s hot – this is actually really generalized.
- However, what happened under the Fig tree for Nathanael that He felt God there – that when Jesus said these words his next response was verse 49?
- Then Jesus’ question in verse 50 – Because I said unto thee I saw thee under the fig tree believest thou?
Fig Tree Moments
- Have you ever had a moment like this with Jesus Christ?
- What is a moment you’ve had in your life when you have felt SEEN.
- In these verses we are invited by apostles and by Jesus Christ Himself to Come and see and to Follow Jesus Christ.
- When we are striving to do that – we will find these moments of peace come over us and we will feel SEEN by Him.
- The end of verse 50 Jesus says, – Thou shalt see greater things than these. Verse 51.
- This reminded me of President Nelson’s talk from October 2022. He says,
- “But, my dear brothers and sisters, so many wonderful things are ahead. In coming days, we will see the greatest manifestations of the Savior’s power that the world has ever seen. Between now and the time He returns “with power and great glory,” He will bestow countless privileges, blessings and miracles upon the faithful.”
- Elder Holland’s Book Our Day Star Rising page 118
I hope you’ll take time to ponder on a time in your life when you felt Seen By Him. If you haven’t felt that in your life – watch for it to come. He loves you. Jesus Christ is close by. He is watching you under your fig tree.